Wednesday 16 October 2013

Plunging into my new life

Who'd have thought that I would ever leave Cape Town? Surely nobody in my family thought that this would happen, since they have spent the better part of the last year trying to figure out why I was doing it. But the truth is, that I have always been drawn to Johannesburg. It is a city that is full of life and beauty, albeit a different kind of beauty to what I have experienced in Cape Town. There is no mistaking that I am happy here, and perhaps this is because I chose to come here, while many others who do not like it have come not of their own free will, but rather due to business obligations or other unpleasant reasons. It may be because I like the liveliness of the city, or because I like the huge amount of church activity. It may be because the Temple is here, or because I have so many friends up here, or because the people just seem so friendly. It may also be because I love the weather up here, and the lack of strong wind (for the most part). But whatever the reason, I absolutely love it here, and I am so privileged to be able to live here.

Since I moved up a week ago, I have had four job interviews already at different high schools, and I have even received an offer. I still need to hear the details of the offer before I make a decision, but I'm feeling pretty good about things. I am discovering that I actually really enjoy being interviewed. I enjoy talking, especially when I am an expert on the topic being discussed... and let's face it, who is more of an expert on me, than me? In any event, I feel pretty confident about my ability to find a school where I will be happy teaching, and near which I will be happy living.

In the meantime, I am living happily, getting as involved as I possibly can. I have joined an Institute class, in which we are studying Teachings of the Living Prophets, and sung at a missionary fireside for Weltevreden Ward... There are a few other things in the pipeline right now, but that's yet to come!

I have realised that one of the great things about being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is that I can go anywhere in the world (seriously, almost anywhere!) and immediately have a group of people with the same beliefs as me that I can fit into. I can immediately get involved with Institute, with church, and I can make friends quickly. I am so blessed! Honestly, I couldn't ask for anything more!

Well... maybe for a teaching post at a good school. But we'll see what happens there! :P

2 comments:

  1. I loved your article! Good to hear about your progression and move to Joburg!

    Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be sent for moderation and be published shortly. Thank you for reading!